Consumer Preference Center
Last Revised: May 22, 2014
Marketing and Consumer Choice
Epsilon provides companies the tools to bring relevant and targeted marketing offers to consumers. Our business is to help companies reach consumers who are interested in their products or services. We do so by providing consumer information to other companies so that they may send you offers that may be of interest to you. Epsilon believes you should understand how data about you is provided to and used by Epsilon for marketing purposes. We believe that the more informed you are about the use of your data for marketing purposes, the more you can enjoy the many benefits afforded by the appropriate use of your information. We have created the Consumer Guide to Direct Marketing to provide you more information regarding our use of consumer information for Direct Marketing purposes.
As a consumer, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving direct marketing that Epsilon enables. You can opt-out by following the steps below. Opting-out of Epsilon databases will stop the delivery of some direct marketing, but will not eliminate all targeted offers.
- Online Targeted Advertising
- Direct Mail Advertising and our Marketing Databases
- Stop Mail Being Sent to a Deceased Individual
- Information on Opt-Out Processing
Opting-Out of Epsilon Corporate Communications
You may opt-out of Epsilon corporate communications at any time by using the unsubscribe mechanism within the email you receive, or by clicking here to opt-out. You will still receive transactional email, such as registration confirmation, product updates and responses to direct requests you have made.
Opting-Out of Email from Clients of Epsilon
Epsilon is an opt-in email service provider. To perform email services on behalf of our clients, our clients provide their customer email addresses to us, and we deploy emails on their behalf. Epsilon does not in any way own this data and is therefore unable and unauthorized to remove you from a client's email list. If you are a customer of an Epsilon client and would like to be removed from a client's email list, you may use the unsubscribe mechanism within the email you receive, or you may contact the marketer directly and request that your email be removed. Please be aware that you may do business with several companies that are clients of Epsilon and you must contact each to be removed from their email lists. Epsilon in no way sells or shares these email addresses with any company without consent.
Online Targeted Advertising
As you browse the internet, you may see advertisements on the websites you visit. For example, while you read the news online, you may see an advertisement at the top of the webpage. This type of advertising is known as Online Targeted Advertising and may be based on a variety of factors, such as websites you visit, perceived interests, and demographic information. The goal of Online Targeted Advertising is to make the ad that you receive more relevant to you so that you click on the ad, seek additional information or make a purchase. Online Targeted Advertising does not result in you seeing more ads, rather the ads you see will be more relevant to you.
Epsilon's Involvement in Online Targeted Advertising
Epsilon works with advertising partners on behalf of our clients to enable the delivery of relevant Online Targeted Advertising to the right consumers, while protecting consumer privacy and offering choices about participating in such activities. Epsilon utilizes data elements from our Marketing Databases to assist our clients in enabling the presentation of the right offer to the appropriate consumer. For more information, please read our Consumer Guide to Direct Marketing.
To facilitate Online Targeted Advertising, Epsilon and our third party partners utilize cookies and other web technologies.
Cookies and Web Technologies
Cookies are small text files that your web browser uses to store data to make your browsing experience easier and faster. These technologies do not store any personally identifiable information; they store anonymous data, such as your site behavior, browser information and your perceived interests. Cookies are the technology that enable us and our advertising partners to display relevant ads to you.
- Our advertising partners may place a web beacon or cookie on certain websites, such as a website registration page) or within an email message sent by Epsilon or our partner companies. This enables Epsilon or our partner companies to later display a relevant advertisement to you based on your website browsing and email activity. This type of advertising — known as Retargeting — is a method using Online Targeted Advertising to re-engage consumers who previously opened an email or visited a website. Again, no personally identifiable information is collected or stored in these cookies.
- To measure the effectiveness of the Online Targeted Advertising you see, we partner with companies to evaluate your interactions with the ads. Certain non-personally identifiable information may be collected and shared with these partners, including what ad you received and when, and whether you clicked on the ad.
Opting-Out of Online Targeted Advertising
You may opt-out of our Online Targeted Advertising by clicking on the Advertising Option Icon in the ads you receive. The Icon will appear as and may be accompanied by text such as "AdChoices". It will be located around the perimeter of the ad. Simply click on this Icon and proceed to the opt-out link or preference setting link. Once directed to the opt-out page or preference setting page, you may immediately opt-out of future Online Targeted Advertising from Epsilon and our partners. If you have any questions concerning this opt-out, you can always contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opting-out of ads from Epsilon will only stop targeted ads that originate with Epsilon. You must opt-out of other company targeting methods to stop others from targeting you. Advertisers may use several companies to serve the same ads, therefore you may continue to see the same ads, though they will not have originated from Epsilon.
- After you opt-out, you will still see the same number of ads as before, but you will likely find them less relevant.
Epsilon uses the Ghostery Inc. Assurance Platform to comply with the cross-industry Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising as managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (www.aboutads.info). Epsilon supports deployment of the Advertising Option Icon, in partnership with Ghostery, Inc. to help consumers understand how their data is used and provide choices to consumers that want more control.
For information about the Advertising Option Icon, Online Targeted Advertising in general and cookies, please visit www.aboutads.info and www.iab.net/privacymatters.
To manage your online profile and your opt-out status, you may utilize the Digital Advertising Alliance tool or the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out tool.
- Google Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Enabling%20and%20disabling%20cookies
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11913
Direct Mail Marketing is the practice of marketing products or services to consumers through postal mail. Marketers use our products and services to gather additional information regarding their current customers and to obtain information about potential customers that may be interested in their products or services. This information helps make the advertising more relevant, based on an individual's interests. To learn more about the types of information we collect, please refer to our Consumer Guide to Direct Marketing.
Household Purchase Behavior Database: Epsilon's Household Purchase Database contains consumer names and addresses, along with generalized household purchase information, to help understand the types of purchases people have made. Epsilon clients (mostly catalog and retail companies, but also non-profit organizations, publishers and others) provide information about their customers in exchange for information about prospective customers who may be interested in their products. This information helps Epsilon and our clients determine consumer preferences and interests based on where a household shops, the categories of products and services a household buys and non-profit organizations a household supports. For example, if a consumer buys children's clothing, that household will likely receive catalogs of children's clothing in the mail.
For more information about any of our marketing databases, please refer to our
Consumer Guide to Direct Marketing.
The most effective way to receive less direct marketing mail at home is to use the Direct Marketing Association's (DMA's) Mail Preference Service and the Canadian Marketing Association's (CMA's) Do Not Contact Service. All you have to do is enter your name and address on the appropriate site and companies that are members of the DMA or CMA, and non-member companies that use these services, remove consumers whose name and address are present. The result is that you will see a reduction in the amount of unwanted direct mail marketing. As a DMA and CMA member, Epsilon subscribes to and suppresses any name and address on the DMA's Mail Preference Service file and CMA's Do Not Contact Service file from its direct mail marketing lists. By registering with these services, you do not need to also opt-out directly with us. Not all marketing companies utilize the DMA or CMA list, so registering with this site will not eliminate all unwanted mail, though it will reduce the amount.
U.S. Consumers: Please visit DMAChoice.org.
Canadian Consumers: Please visit CMA Do Not Contact Service.
Epsilon respects your choice not to receive direct mail marketing. You may opt-out of Epsilon's Marketing Databases in the following ways:
EMAIL: Email email@example.com and include the following information:
- full name (including middle initial)
- current address
- previous address if you have been at your current address fewer than six months
PHONE: Phone 1.888.780.3869 and leave the above information.
MAIL: Mail the above information to the below addresses:
P.O. Box 1478
Broomfield, CO 80038
111 Gordon Baker Road
Toronto, ON M2H 3R1
Stop Mail Being Sent to a Deceased Individual
U.S. Consumers: Direct Marketing Association's Deceased Do Not Contact List.
Canadian Consumers: Canadian Marketing Association's Do Not Contact Service.
You may also contact us directly at 1.888.780.3869 with the full name, address and date of death and we will remove the individual from our databases.
Information on Opt-Out Processing
- After completing any of the above opt-out options for direct mail, it may take up to 3 months for your name to clear entirely from our marketing databases. Epsilon processes opt-out requests promptly upon receipt, but due to marketing campaigns already underway, you may receive marketing materials for up to 3 months after you opt-out. We appreciate your patience in giving us time to carry out your request.
- If you move or change your name, you will need to opt-out again with your new address.
- By opting-out with Epsilon, you are opting-out of Epsilon's marketing databases only, not databases belonging to other companies. There are other companies similar to Epsilon that provide consumer information to marketers for marketing purposes and you should also opt-out with them if you do not want your information shared for marketing purposes.
- When you opt-out with Epsilon, Epsilon does not delete your information. We mark it on our databases as "Do Not Share". When you are marked as "Do Not Share", Epsilon will know that you do not want your information shared in the event your information is later resubmitted to us. If your information were deleted, we would have no way to know you requested that your information not be shared in the future. We want to be sure that your requests are honored until we are told of a change.
To ask questions about Epsilon's Consumer Preference Center, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send correspondence to:
P.O. Box 1478
Broomfield, CO 80038